Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Spoil yourself: lamb burger!

Once again, the lovely weather combined with a desire for keeping the kitchen clean lead to grilling on a warm Sunday evening.

Weather sidebar: if mother nature could quit being so manic, I would really appreciate it.  It's disconcerting to be bombarded by Christmas commercials while your AC is cutting on and off.  I mean, I know I live in Louisiana and hot weather in November is to be expected, but this doesn't mean I have to like it, damn it.  The bright side is that we can grill every weekend, and for that, I'm happy.

Lamb for me is a every-now-and-then protein.  It tastes great, but it's high in fat and pretty pricy; however, it is one of my fella's favorite meats, so I can't help but fix it every now and then.  Spoiled bugger.

One of the tricks I keep in mind when fixing a component that is unhealthy is to keep the rest of the meal light so I don't get caught in a food shame spiral.  Of course, if you're a dude, this doesn't seem to matter as you can just eat things and not give it a second thought.  What's that like?  I bet it's cool.

I kept the burger very simple, just yogurt sauce, lettuce, and pickled onions from my dish earlier in the week.  On the side I had a few Zapp's potato chips and grilled onion, squash, and mushroom with fresh tomatoes.  Overall, I'd say this dish was a big success because it was simple to throw together and delicious, which is exactly what I'm looking for on a Sunday.

Lamb Burger
1 lb lamb
2 tbsp feta cheese crumbles
1 sprig fresh mint (about 2 tsp chopped)
salt and pepper

Mix in feta and mint with lamb: be careful not to overmix the meat.  Season both sides with salt and pepper and grill, about 3-4 minutes per side.


Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
1 8 ounce container plain greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

Peel cucumber and slice in half, lengthwise.  Save one half for a delicious snack at a later date.  Scoop seeds out of the half you're using, then chop very fine.  Mix all ingredients together and chill.  Make ahead if possible: the longer it sits, the better the flavors will marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment