Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Shrimp with Chimichurri sauce

Shrimp are one of the easiest things to cook: quick to defrost, quick to cook, and can hold up to big flavors.  Grilling is one of my favorite ways to prepare food because it's healthy and more importantly, my boyfriend is the grillmaster so all I have to do is prep the food and relax with a beer.  Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

We fixed this last weekend but with all the craziness of work, I haven't had time to post it.  Stick with me, faithful readers, and I'll be more on point in the future.  Homecoming is now over so my life will resume a more normal pace, at least as normal as it can when you are a student life professional.

The whole reason I wanted to cook shimp was actually for the chimichurri.  I needed something to do with the mint that is taking over my flower bed, and possibly the greater Bossier area.  Chimichurri is an Argentian sauce, typically just herbs and oil, so feel free to use whatever you have on hand.  This bright condiment can also be used on other proteins.  For the shrimp, I made a seasoning blend with some of my favorite flavors.

Shrimp with Chimichurri Sauce
Shrimp                          1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Garlic Powder    Chili Powder
Canola Oil                    Salt and Pepper to Taste
Wooden Skewers

Mix all ingredients in bowl.  Pat shrimp dry then stir into the seasoning.  Soak wooden skewers for 1-2 minutes to prevent a possible fire issue while grilling.  Put shrimp on skewers and grill for 2-3 minutes, per side, until firm.

Chimichurri Sauce
1/2 cup mint                   1/2 cup cilantro
1 tbsp Lemon Juice        One clove garlic
Olive Oil

Put first four ingredients in a chopper or food processor until smooth.  Add oil (start with 1/4 a cup) until a sauce forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment