Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crispy Skin Salmon with Fiery Asian Slaw

Salmon is one of my favorite fish to cook, although (fun fact) it's one of my least favorites in sushi form.  This recipe in particular is a big hit in my household and one that I picked up from the September 2009 issue of Cooking Light magazine.  It has secured a spot in my permanent dinner rotation: quick, delicious, and healthy.  What are you waiting for?

I make the recipe pretty much as is and serve with rice as a side.  For tonight's version my fella made the basmati rice and slaw while I dealt with the salmon.  I also threw together some pickled onions and used a wheat tortilla to put all the ingredients together to make one slammin' fish taco.  The first five times I made this dinner I would say, without fail, "This would taste great as a taco," at which point I was reminded that I said the exact thing the last time I made this dish. Eventually, my taco dream came to fruition and it was fabulous.

Taste the slaw as you go and adjust quantities of ingredients to taste.  I wouldn't even bother measuring: life is to short to clean tiny spoons.  This slaw would be great with other proteins, or taste delicious the next day for a work lunch, accompanied by a salad.  In fact, I try to think up other things to make to go with this slaw, much like I go to Deli Tini (a lovely sandwich shop on Youree Drive) for the avocado potato salad and then try to find a sandwich to go with it.  And yes: I said Avocado.  Potato.  Salad.  Swoon!  But I digress.

Crispy Skin Salmon with Fiery Asian Slaw (4 servings)
4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
Salt and Pepper
Cooking spray
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Sriracha
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 (16 ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle salmon fillets evenly with salt and pepper.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add salmon to pan, skin side down; cook 4 minutes.  Turn salmon over; cook 3 minutes.  Add orange juice to pan; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

While fish cooks, combine rice vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through honey) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Add a pinch of salt, cilantro, and coleslaw; toss well to coat.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment