Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Turkey Beef Chipotle Chili

My fella and I happened upon a chili cook-off Friday which succeeded in whetting our chili taste buds.  I suggested that we make some this weekend, and being a good sport, he went along with it.  It has been rainy and bleh all day long, so this is perfect chili weather, other than the fact that  my dear had to go shopping for the ingredients, but the sacrifice was worth it for this collaborative deliciousness.

The photograph does not do this chili justice: it is yum!  In contrast to my previous recipe, this one is decidedly man-friendly, what with it being a big bowl of meat. We like our chili on the spicy side: I would say this has good flavor, but isn't overwhelmingly spicy.  I randomly forgot both salt and pepper, which are flavor standards, but I honestly don't think the chili suffered because of it.  I think seasoning the meat and chili separately helped to build layers of flavor.  This meal received a 100% approval rating in my house and has left plenty of leftovers for the week.

Turkey Beef Chipotle Chili (recipe inspiration from Betty Crocker cookbook)

1 1/4 pound ground turkey
1 1/4 pound ground beef (80/20)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp and 2 tsp smoked paprika
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes and peppers (original rotel), undrained
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 small can diced chiles
1/2 frozen corn
1/2 cup vegetable stock
Shredded cheddar (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Corn chips (optional)

Heat skillet to medium and add meat, garlic powder, onion powder, and 2 teaspoons  of smoked paprika. Cook meat over medium heat 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until brown and drain.

In slow cooker, add all ingredients except for optional toppings.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

Serve with additional toppings.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I love cooking chili! My husband will love this recipe because of the spicyness! I have a question for you: is smoked paprika different from regular paprika? On the cooking shows, they always say smoked paprika, but I never can seem to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoked paprika is way different. To me, regular paprika doesn't taste like anything. Smoked paprika has the flavor of chipotle without the heat. Once I finally bought some, I'm glad I did because use it a lot. I think I got it at Kroger, so it isn't a specialty item but you may have to look a little to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hun! I will try Rouses Epicurean...they usually have everything :)

    ReplyDelete