Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Roasted Salmon with Shallot Grapefruit Sauce

Salmon is one of my favorite fish to eat, probably because it's one of the first fish I ever cooked.  I remember the dish clearly: salmon covered in dill and yogurt, wrapped in foil, and baked in the oven.  The recipe was given to me by my college mentor, who is now my supervisor: oh life, you crazy weaving ride.

So, back to the salmon.  If you aren't a fish person, salmon is one to try.  It is flavorful without being too fishy, and filled with the good fat (omega 3 fatty acids) so that is a win-win-win situation, a fish triple threat, if you will.

I have been making this recipe since I was in graduate school and had decided to make a commitment to having a healthy balanced diet.  This was pretty necessary, as a response to my questionable food choices in college.  Bad day?  Console yourself with Taco Bell.  Good day?  Celebrate with Taco Bell!  I am proud to say I have been  taco bell free for at least three years!  As for Cane's...well, I have to draw the line somewhere!

And now, for the delightfully pictured salmon. (I swear, there is a recipe here somewhere.) This is a Ellie Krieger recipe.  She used to have a show on Food Network and has a great cookbook of yummy, healthy foods.  This is a meal that can come together in 20 minutes and never fails to wow.  I have always made it with basil but tonight switched it up (due to my mutant mint bush) and it was great.  It is imperative to serve it over spinach because it soaks up the sauce and is wilted by the salmon and really makes the dish.  My version of the recipe sticks closely to hers, but I actually make the amount of sauce for two that she makes for four.  A little extra grapefruit never hurt anybody!

Roasted Salmon with Shallot Grapefruit Sauce
Serves 2
2 skinless salmon fillets, 5-6 ounces each
pinch of salt, plus more for seasoning fish
2 ruby red grapefruits
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp minched shallot
1 tsp ginger powder
2 1/2 tsp honey
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tsps lemon juice
1 tbsp basil or mint
baby spinach

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Season the salmon liberally with salt and pepper.  Place on a baking pan and roast until cooked through, about 16 minutes.

While the salmon is cooking, prepare the sauce!  Cut one grapefruit into sections and set the segment pieces aside.  Juice the other grapefruit and set the juice aside.

In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the shallot and saute until softened, about 2 minutes  Add the ginger, grapefruit juice, honey, and cayenne pepper and bring to simmer.  Cook until sauce reduces a bit, about 5 minutes.  Add lemon juice and season with salt, to taste.  Right before serving, toss the grapefruit pieces and basil or min into the sauce.  Put a serving of spinach on each dish and a portion of salmon on the spinach.  Spoon sauce over salmon and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment